Unit 2 Ferry Wharf
Hove Enterprise Centre
Basin Road North
Portslade, East Sussex
We all love social media, but could it cost you your dream job? Is a social media audit needed?
In the era of digital connectivity, social media has become an integral part of our lives. From sharing memorable moments to connecting with friends and family, these platforms offer a window into our personal and professional worlds. However, the love affair with social media can take a sour turn when considering its potential impact on landing your dream job.
The omnipresent threat of data breaches and scandals has raised concerns about the security and privacy of our online information. This, in turn, has prompted a shift in the hiring landscape, with recruiters increasingly turning to social media platforms to vet potential candidates.
So it’s high time you performed your personal social media audit!
- LinkedIn – checks which companies you’re following and which groups you belong to.
- Facebook – go to the “Timeline and Tagging” page and click “Review what other people see”.
- Instagram – check what content you’re displaying and, most importantly, the pictures you were tagged in!
- Email account – make sure that your profile picture is professional and the signature is up-to-date.
- Twitter – does it reveal more information than you’d like to give away?
- Other accounts – TikTok, Tumblr, Google+?
- Skype, WhatsApp, Google Hangouts – pictures and statuses.
- Google your name and see what comes up!
When evaluating your social media footprint, envision a Hiring Manager scrolling through your profiles.
Adhere to the golden rule: if you’re uncertain about how a post may be perceived professionally, err on the side of caution and refrain from posting it. However, don’t be afraid to present your authentic self online. Pretending to be someone you’re not, can also come back to bite you!
In a world where first impressions often begin online, a strategic and polished social media presence could be the key to unlocking your dream job.
If you would like to see our company updates and industry insights, follow our LinkedIn page here.
Prior to joining the recruitment industry, Ewa had a career in real estate in New York City & London. She prides herself on working closely with clients and candidates to help them to find the best match for their requirements and career objectives.
Ewa is happy to converse in English, German, Italian as well as her native Polish.