Unit 2 Ferry Wharf
Hove Enterprise Centre
Basin Road North
Portslade, East Sussex
Now you’re prepared for the job interview in terms of your inner game, it’s time to think about the message you’re sending with your body language.
Our posture, gestures, and facial expression are an essential part of the way we communicate.
In this inspiring talk, Amy Cuddy proves that “body language may shape who you are” so when you’re getting ready for this face-to-face interview, it’s worth considering your non-verbal communication.
A few quick tips on how to leave a lasting impression…
Before the interview:
- Fake it till you make it. Smile and stand in a strong confident pose.
- A firm dry handshake inspires confidence – rub your hands together to warm them up.
- When being invited to the meeting room – follow with purpose and energy.
During the interview:
- Don’t cross your arms and legs – have an open posture. Don’t make yourself small!
- Lean in slightly at times to show your interest. Tilt your head towards the interview panel.
- By revealing your carotid artery, you’re sending an unconscious signal that you trust the other person.
- Nod when they’re talking. This indicates you’re switched on.
- Mirror their body language – a powerful way to build rapport quickly.
Sound career advice. Always under 200 words.
David Waddell is the Managing Director at Harvey John.
If you would like to see our company updates and industry insights, follow our LinkedIn page here.
Alongside his commercial responsibilities, David manages the Public Practice division working with boutique practices as well as leading regional and national accountancy firms. He also recruits for commercial senior finance roles with clients ranging from multinational organisations to private equity backed businesses experiencing high growth.