Unit 2 Ferry Wharf
Hove Enterprise Centre
Basin Road North
Portslade, East Sussex
As mentioned in the previous instalment of Interviews of the future, where I covered video interview prep, we are and will be experiencing a very unique and unprecedented time ahead of us, especially regarding jobs and their interviews. Many companies may have previously used phone calls to candidates as the first step in the interview process, to start getting an idea of who that person is and if they’re the right fit. This might still be the first step that employers use, which then could be followed by a video interview. Or the phone interview may be the only step, depending on the circumstances.
Taking this on board, you need to be prepared for either scenario. As there will be a lot of similarities between video and phone prep, I won’t bore you with repeating everything that was previously mentioned. This blog will cover some additional tips and differences to keep in mind when being heard but not seen.
- Posture is still important, you’ll be able to talk for longer and support your voice better if you’re sitting upright or standing.
- It’s a strange concept but you really can hear someone smiling in their voice, so remember to do that and it’ll help you stay positive and confident.
- Getting out of your slouchy gear and into something more professional (but still comfortable) will make it feel more like the real thing.
- Your voice is your one and only tool, so make sure it’s ready to go (take a look at Interview tips from an Actor: Part 1 for advice on warming up your voice).
- Slow down and take your time – we all tend to speak a bit faster on the phone. Having your notes and research nearby will help you take a beat to gather yourself for your next answer.
- Make sure you’re in the room in your house that gets the best signal, you don’t want the call cutting off halfway through!
Now before your phone call is scheduled, read these tips, take a deep breath, and you’ll be ready to go.
Alex Louise is a member of the Operations team at Harvey John.
If you would like to see our company updates and industry insights, follow our LinkedIn page here.